
Knock on the window so he goes away.
Everybody knows that. Even they know that. Don't look out, don't look at their faces, and of course, never look straight into their eyes. To protect ourselves from the pain of having compassion, we dull our responses. We knock on our car windows.
Go away.
Not because we are annoyed, but because we are angry at our imagined powerlessness about the situation outside the comfort of our cars. How wrong we are. We are not helpless.
When you knock on your car window, they do go away, but only from your sight. You know that many are still standing in the rain. They, too, are knocking from the outside.
Gang Badoy/ 3 Sept 2005
photo credit: Jake Verzosa copyright 2005
rockedphilippines
2 comments:
WOW after 12 yrs in America!!!
They are still out there and she is wet and hungry.
I am sad Erwinsky...
if you don't mind I will post this pic on my blog.
Scenes like this are heartbreaking. I think you wrote exactly what most people think.
Post a Comment